Sunday, October 16, 2016

Digital Blog Post G

The textbook shows a scenario of a teacher who is struggling to meet the individual needs of his students. The book shows a great example of teachers who just want to move on to whatever is next for time's sake. I know many times as a student I would get frustrated because my teachers moved on quickly. I never understood the information or digested it as easily as others did, so naturally I failed some tests and quizzes. One thing educators need to think of when suggesting one on one time is that some students are very intimidated by their teachers. Teachers I believe, should be somewhat of a safe place to students. Students should feel okay to ask the teacher for help and one on one time, instead of silently struggling. Teachers should show a friendly attitude and helping attributes to help the student feel safe in asking questions. For the teacher and students' time together, they should feel comfortable enough to have that needed one on one time.
One thing most people don't realize is that, teachers learn from their students as well. There are often situations where teachers have had to learn a couple of words in a different language to talk to some of their students. It is not always students learning from their teachers but we as well can learn from out students. One time in the fourth grade, my teacher learned a couple of words in Creole to speak to one of my classmates. I always thought it was so cool that my Cuban teacher knew some words in Creole. In most cases teachers use different online resources to help them learn the new language.
My fourth grade teacher often times told my Haitian classmate to calm down and to "chita". Took me a while to figure out what it meant BUT google translate did help me. Click the link below to help  you figure out what chita means!

Assistive technology varies in it's forms. One specific form I would love to talk about are little machines that help verbally impaired students and or people in general. These machines are very useful when the person would love to communicate or get their point across. In the video below, the machine used is called "DynoVox", which helps her communicate to her family and others around her. In some of the special classes that I have volunteered in, some students use an iPad or Tablet, which served the same purpose. The student chooses and presses on what they want to say and the machine says it for them. I have always loved the idea of this form of assistive technology only because I would hate to think so much all the time and not be able to say what I want.



Assistive Technology in Action - Meet Elle. (2012, September 28). Retrieved October 16, 2016, from https://youtu.be/g95TO20hnmo

Cabrera, M. J. (2016, October 16). Teacher & Student [Photograph].

Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment